From: Nuitari <nuitari@××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Tyan Motherboards
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 06:12:37
1 > <drool> Hardware virtualization is something the 3-digit Opterons don't
2 > have, unfortunately, and it'll (hopefully) be several more years before I
3 > upgrade mobo again, tho as I said I'm upgrading the CPUs to dual-core
4 > pretty quickly now.
5 >
6 > I expect and predict that as hardware virtualization gets more common,
7 > the software/chroot level of protection now more or less routine for
8 > publicly exposed servers, especially as run on otherwise personal
9 > machines, will graduate to hardware virtualized servers, the idea being
10 > to make it even /more/ difficult for a compromised process to take over
11 > the entire host. That hardware virtualized separation has been the case
12 > on "big iron" for some time, and it's nice seeing it finally come down to
13 > the consumer level. However, it's a party I won't be joining for at
14 > least a few more years, if my hardware holds out, anyway.
15
16 Unfortunately it looks like that I'll have to keep using vmware on it for
17 a while as I won't have the new hardware locally long enough to really
18 test QEMU / KVM.
19 --
20 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list