From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Tyan Motherboards
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 09:43:31
1 On Thursday 03 May 2007 01:47:12 Duncan wrote:
2
3 > Anyway, I made the right decision, as Gentoo/amd64 MSI users have seen
4 > more problems (as reported here) than Tyan users, which have seemed pretty
5 > happy with their purchases, from what has been reported here anyway.
6
7 You may be referring to me here, so I'll just close the story by saying that
8 AFAIR I had no real problems with dual Opteron 246s on my MSI K8T Master2
9 FAR board (my memory is getting to be notorious, though :-) . The BIOS
10 lacked some settings in memory timing etc, but I would probably have left
11 them alone anyway.
12
13 Eventually, after three years of 24hr BOINC number-crunching, it seemed to
14 develop some memory timing problem of its own - at least, it wouldn't boot
15 with its usual 4 GB, not even back at the system builder's. So I got them
16 to put in a new board, which is a Supermicro H8DCE. That was last
17 Christmas. My only complaint with this board is its poor documentation of
18 BIOS settings. The manual is not much more than the superficial
19 plug-this-in-here-and-that-in-there variety. I've had to do quite a bit of
20 experimenting to find what various things do, and I'm still not confident
21 that I've found the best arrangement.
22
23 Anyway, it seems to be working ok.
26 Rgds
27 Peter Humphrey