From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Interrupting portage gracefully
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 08:30:57
1 On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 16:54:53 -0800
2 "Peter Davoust" <worldgnat@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I don't know if this helps, but I usually run emerge <package> && init
5 > 0 so it shuts off after it's finished (it would be nice if portage had
6 > an --shutdownafter option, but oh well). The only problem is that if
7 > there's an error in portage it won't shut down.
8
9 That's because by using '&&', you are explicitly telling bash to run
10 the second command only if the first command succeeds. To run the
11 second command regardless, use ';' to separate the commands:
12
13 emerge <package> ; init 0
14
15 It's a good idea to have logging switched on so if stuff failed you can
16 find out why later. In make.conf set PORT_LOGDIR to a directory that
17 exists; also setup the elog stuff, PORTAGE_ELOG_* -
18 see /etc/make.conf.example (which is the only place they're documented)
19 - I use:
20
21 PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES="info warn error log"
22 PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="save"
23
24 which just dumps the relevant bits into a subdirectory "elog" of
25 ${PORT_LOGDIR}.
28 Kevin F. Quinn