From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers,
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 18:52:33
1 On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 00:34:24 +0200
2 >
3 > oh really? can mc present an audiocd as ogg/mp3/flac/wav files?
4 >
5 > I don't think so.
6
7 I am not sure what is meant by "present an audio cd," but mc can be
8 programmed by the user to accomplish a lot of tasks based on the
9 file type. Therefore, although I have not researched this specific
10 possibility, I would be inclined to believe that it can be done
11 with mc.
12
13 Most importantly, mc could do it without requiring the support of
14 hundreds of extra libraries. The more complex a structure, the more
15 difficult it becomes to eliminate or even locate problems and flaws.
16
17 One can also argue that the whole idea of an evolving graphical
18 interface is a fallacy. Human beings do not need any new and improved
19 methods for interacting with a computer. In my opinion, the GUI had
20 reached its peak way back in 1995. Nothing else needs to be done.
21 Current GUI designs should be sufficient for the next thousand years.
22
23 > well, I am just saying that even if Frank things highly integrated, code and
24 > functionanilty sharing DEs might be superfluos I am thinking the exact
25 > opposite.
28 It's all a matter of personal preference and philosophy. I am a minimalist
29 at heart and I'm sure a lot of other people are as well. For me, using
30 a computer means interacting closely with the hardware without the intervention
31 of a thick layer of GUI. I derive much satisfaction with being able to write
32 bash scripts or perl/python code to do jobs that other users could probably
33 accomplish with a few mouse clicks within KDE or Gnome. To me, the whole
34 point of computing is to be in total awareness and control of the computer.
35 Fortunately, Linux (and Gentoo) still provides that minimalist opportunity.
36
37 Frank Peters