From: Daiajo Tibdixious <daiajo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: No kdm after 2005.0 upgrade
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 09:22:16
1 On 1/29/06, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Daiajo Tibdixious posted
3 > <a4a9bfcb0601282116m7e2f144ewa612048f69fb581e@××××××××××.com>, excerpted
4 > below, on Sun, 29 Jan 2006 16:16:18 +1100:
5 >
6 > > BTW I would start kde from the command line as Richard explains,
7 > > however most of the users of this computer make "dumb users" seem
8 > > smart. They hate having to put a password in, for instance.
9 >
10 > Yeah, when you have other users, and they are limited in what they know or
11 > even /want/ to know... <shakes head>
12
13 Sigh.
14 Anyway, not solved, just a different problem. When I correct DISPLAYMANAGER,
15 nothing comes up, no X, no XDM, no KDM.
16 If I enter "kdm" in bash, with no X, it starts X and brings up KDM.
17 I'm sure under 2004.3 I changed the run level in /etc/inittab, however
18 3,4,& 5 are all "default" and I don't understand where X is started.
19 I'd create my own /etc/init.d/kdm module if it weren't for the hoops
20 xdm seems to have to run thru with its special "a" runlevel. I've
21 debugged /etc/X11/startDM.sh
22 ${svcdir} is fine and ${svcdir}/options/xdm/services has /usr/bin/kdm.
23 If I do
24 $ /sbin/start-stop-daemon --start --exec /usr/bin/kdm
25 it exits with 0 but doesn't start anything. If I
26 $ . /etc/X11/startDM.sh
27 It gives a non-specific error message "ERROR: could not start the
28 Display Manager..."
29
30 The only errors I can see in /var/log/Xorg.o.log are
31 (EE) Unable to locate/open config file
32 (EE) open /dev/fb0: No such device
33 The first one has always come up (it loads a default config file later),
34 and the second is a lie:
35 # file /dev/fb0
36 /dev/fb0: character special (29/0)
37
38 I tried setting XSESSION again, which gave me "setting up kdm..." in
39 the startup messages, but did not start kdm.
42 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list