From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: Re: No kdm after 2005.0 upgrade
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 11:57:06
1 Daiajo Tibdixious posted
2 <a4a9bfcb0601310120t2c38c7b3l861a937a2dbd2a40@××××××××××.com>, excerpted
3 below, on Tue, 31 Jan 2006 20:20:37 +1100:
4
5 > Anyway, not solved, just a different problem. When I correct DISPLAYMANAGER,
6 > nothing comes up, no X, no XDM, no KDM.
7 > If I enter "kdm" in bash, with no X, it starts X and brings up KDM.
8 > I'm sure under 2004.3 I changed the run level in /etc/inittab, however
9 > 3,4,& 5 are all "default" and I don't understand where X is started.
10 > I'd create my own /etc/init.d/kdm module if it weren't for the hoops
11 > xdm seems to have to run thru with its special "a" runlevel. I've
12 > debugged /etc/X11/startDM.sh
13 > ${svcdir} is fine and ${svcdir}/options/xdm/services has /usr/bin/kdm.
14 > If I do
15 > $ /sbin/start-stop-daemon --start --exec /usr/bin/kdm
16 > it exits with 0 but doesn't start anything. If I
17 > $ . /etc/X11/startDM.sh
18 > It gives a non-specific error message "ERROR: could not start the
19 > Display Manager..."
20
21 Hold on a moment!!! /usr/bin/kdm ????
22
23 Try equery b /usr/bin/kdm (equery is part of gentoolkit, which I
24 recommend merging and investigating if you don't have it). I don't have
25 that file, even with kdm merged (altho mine's the KDE 3.5 version). Maybe
26 that's your problem.
27
28 Here, all the KDE-core stuff is located in /usr/kde/<major.minor>,
29 thus for KDE 3.5, it's /usr/kde/3.5 . The path is adjusted accordingly by
30 the initscripts (in this case by /etc/env.d/45kdepaths-major.minor, so for
31 3.5, /etc/env.d/45kdepaths-3.5) to include /usr/kde/<major.minor>/bin (and
32 sbin for the root user).
33
34 Where did your /usr/bin/kdm come from?
35
36 Also, at least with baselayout-1.12.0_pre's, it's
37 /${svcdir}/options/xdm/service (not services). Whether it's "service" or
38 "services" or something else, is set in /etc/init.d/xdm, "start"
39 function, "save_options" line (the setting there should match the one in
40 the myexe local variable in the stop function).
41
42 Again, where's the /usr/bin/kdm coming from, this time as the contents of
43 your "xdm/service(s) file, not the /usr/bin/kdm file itself? Take a look
44 at the setup_dm function in /etc/init.d/xdm. It sets the content using
45 "which kdm". If you have some strange /usr/bin/kdm that appears first in
46 your path, that shouldn't be there, "which kdm" will return it instead of
47 the one later in your path, that's /supposed/ to be there, as
48 /usr/kde/3.<whatever>/bin/kdm.
49
50 I'm guessing the problem now, therefore, is an old /usr/bin/kdm from who
51 knows /how/ old a KDE, which is failing, as the KDE it belongs to is no
52 longer there. Remove it, and you'll probably get the /correct/ kdm in
53 /usr/kde/3.<whatever>/bin.
54
55 As for that "a" runlevel and how everything is started, the explanatory
56 note in /etc/init.d/xdm, perhaps along with "man telinit" and "man
57 inittab" to understand what the "a" runlevel is all about, should help
58 answer some questions.
59
60 > The only errors I can see in /var/log/Xorg.o.log are
61 > (EE) Unable to locate/open config file
62 > (EE) open /dev/fb0: No such device
63 > The first one has always come up (it loads a default config file later),
64 > and the second is a lie:
65 > # file /dev/fb0
66 > /dev/fb0: character special (29/0)
67
68 This probably isn't related to your current issue, but you are aware that
69 under normal circumstances, using a framebuffer (/dev/fb#) in console
70 mode, rather than the standard VGA text console kernel option, gives you
71 console mode flexibility at the expense of X mode flexibility and
72 acceleration, correct? It sounds like your users spend most of their time
73 in X, so unless you have a rather strange video card, I'm not sure this is
74 the best option. Likewise, just letting X choose its own defaults instead
75 of setting up an xorg.conf works, but is probably non-optimal (altho with
76 framebuffer your options are rather limited, so if you are using that, an
77 xorg.conf may not be worthwhile).
78
79 In any case, no-such-device errors can be permission errors, meaning no
80 /access/ to the device, rather than literally, no-such-device. The device
81 would normally be accessed as root, so that shouldn't be the problem, but
82 locking issues might be, or it could be that X is trying to start before
83 the device file has been created. As I'm not running a framebufferdev
84 here, it's a bit hard to troubleshoot beyond that, but perhaps that'll
85 help you some way.
86
87 > I tried setting XSESSION again, which gave me "setting up kdm..." in the
88 > startup messages, but did not start kdm.
89
90 That's strange. I believe XSESSION, if set correctly, would boot directly
91 into KDE, not KDM. Why would it need to setup KDM? Maybe there's another
92 layer of indirection there than I'm aware of, and your KDM problems are
93 affecting it as well. You DID set XSESSION="kde-3.4" (or whatever),
94 correct? I don't believe it needs the micro-version, and it should
95 /certainly/ not be set to "kdm" or similar, but to "kde-3.#", where # is
96 of course your minor-version.
101 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
102 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
106 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list