From: Bernhard Auzinger <e0026053@×××××××××××××××××.at>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: System becomes almost unusable when compling c++ code
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 20:35:01
1 > Depends - if you're not using X then you won't mind X getting swapped
2 > (running emerge from ssh/etc). If you are using X then chance are it
3 > won't get swapped in the first place. If the issue is gcc using all ram
4 > for itself, then the presence/absence of tmpfs probably won't make much
5 > difference - gcc still has to run.
6 >
7 > I don't see why swap should be any better/worse than any other form of
8 > disk access. If anything it is superior as it allows the kernel to
9 > manage it like any other form of RAM, and the kernel isn't forced to
10 > flush it out to disk within some time (writes to a filesystem are forced
11 > to sync within some time to prevent data loss - this hurts performance
12 > and is totally unnecessary for temporary build files that will get
13 > deleted when you re-run emerge anyway).
14 >
15 > Even if you don't have a tmpfs writing to disk will tend to drive unused
16 > ram into swap - the system will swap idle memory to make room for
17 > cache/buffers - where the recently-written files will reside in ram.
18 >
19 > Now, in an extreme case where you have less RAM than the resident size
20 > of the apps you have running then swap will be horrible - but that is
21 > because you're continuously swapping in and out. And I doubt a tmpfs
22 > will make much difference either way.
23 >
24 > Now, if somebody has empirical data I'll certainly pay attention, or at
25 > least a lot of expertise. However, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion
26 > that swap is worse than ordinary disk writes - linux manages swap fairly
27 > well all things considered. If you don't like how it is being managed
28 > there are kernel settings that can be used to tweak it (swappiness, etc).
29
30 Yes you are completely right, but that is not the point I wanted to make. I
31 just think avoiding any unnecessary disk access is the best solution as long
32 there will be the bottleneck.
33
34 Rgds
35 Bernhard