From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] gcc-config (gcc32) infos
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 09:16:41
1 On Friday 05 May 2006 03:39, "Christian Aistleitner" <tmgisi@×××.at> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-amd64] gcc-config (gcc32) infos':
3 > I know that gcc-config is responsible for creating gcc32 and gcc64 and
4 > actually calling the correct gcc with -m32 or -m64. However someone
5 > using Fedora Core just told me gcc32 also exists on his system. However,
6 > he claims that there gcc32 refers to "a privious installed gcc" (Looks
7 > like a very strange naming scheme to me).
8
9 FC5 (and possibly previous versions) use gcc-4.x by default for most (all?)
10 packages. Also, gcc packages are only provided for 4.x. If you want to
11 compile something that doesn't work under 4.x (some versions of qemu or
12 kqemu, for example), you install compat-gcc-32 (IIRC), which is gcc-3.2 +
13 FC patches, installed as gcc32.
14
15 In older versions of redhat (and possibly FC) 3.2 was the default gcc. If
16 you upgraded from such a system compat-gcc-32 (and the gcc32 binary) would
17 indeed be a "previously installed gcc".
20 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
21 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
22 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
23 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh