From: dustin@×××××××.us
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Amoeba file system
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 14:56:41
1 On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 11:17:47AM +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Watch this:
3 >
4 > # fdisk -l /dev/hda
5 > [...]
6 > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
7 > /dev/hda1 * 1 7 56196 83 Linux
8 > [...]
9 >
10 > # emerge grub-static
11 > Calculating dependencies ..... ..... ..... .... done!
12 > >>> Verifying ebuild Manifests...
13 >
14 > >>> Emerging (1 of 1) sys-boot/grub-static-0.97 to /
15 > [...]
16 > >>> sys-boot/grub-static-0.97 merged.
17 > [...]
18 > # fdisk -l /dev/hda
19 >
20 > Disk /dev/hda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
21 > [...]
22 > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
23 > /dev/hda1 1 7 56196 93 Amoeba
24 > [...]
25
26 ok.. that's insane. Looking at the ebuild, the only thing I see that
27 could do that is the call to grub itself, and it's probably a serious
28 bug, possibly writing a bit or byte to the wrong block of the drive.
29 This looks similar:
30 http://www.computing.net/linux/wwwboard/forum/28589.html
31 I would suggest narrowing it down by running 'fsdisk' in the ebuild
32 directly before and after the grub invocation:
33
34 fdisk -l /dev/hda; sleep 3
35 /sbin/grub --batch \
36 --device-map="${dir}"/grub/device.map \
37 > /dev/null
38 fdisk -l /dev/hda; sleep 3
39
40 and if that does, indeed, change the partition table, then file a bug
41 with the grub:
42 http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-legacy-bugs.en.html
43
44 > Now I'm going to have to boot a CD and run fdisk to delete and
45 > re-create /dev/hda1, then chroot to the root partition and run grub to
46 > reinstall itself.
47
48 So long as you don't restart, just running 'fdisk' and resetting the
49 type should do the trick. The kernel won't recognize the change
50 immediately, but that's ok -- it will be written to disk (for better or
51 worse, this is exactly what grub's doing). So you should be able to
52 test this without having to restart.
53
54 > I haven't thought of doing that; perhaps I should try it. I used to use
55 > grub-static a few years ago when 64-bit grub had not yet been developed, in
56 > accordance with the standard installation instructions of the time; I
57 > suppose I've just stuck with it.
58
59 >From the look of the ebuild, there is no 64-bit version -- it builds a
60 32-bit version unconditionally. I may be misreading that, though.
61
62 > It turns out that 'world' does have grub-static, not grub. Sorry I was
63 > unclear about that. How would I arrange package.* to pass --usepkg to
64 > emerge? Maybe I won't have to if your suggestion works (USE=static emerge
65 > grub).
66
67 --usepkg just uses a previously compiled package somewhere on your
68 system. My point was not to cause portage to automatically use that
69 package, but to cause it to recompile the package with exactly the same
70 parameters as those used to create the package. You may have to
71 mask/unmask versions to lock into the right one.
72
73 Dustin
74 --
75 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list