From: "Sebastian Beßler" <sebastian@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers,
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 13:11:49
1 Duncan schrieb:
2
3 > Meanwhile, kde4.3.0 still has issues with xinerama (what SB calls
4 > "big screen") mode in some cases (including mine), too.
5
6 If I would mean xinerama I would say so. Maybe I am pedantic but
7 xinerama is only a deprecated extension of the X-server, that I never
8 had installed because I didn't need it here because I never even want to
9 stretch my desktop to more then one physical monitor or want to move
10 programms from one display to another by drag and drop. I see that it
11 can be usefull but that what I want is usefull and needed too.
12
13 > But I've seen several mentions that the problem has been fixed in
14 > trunk, for 4.4, and the fix may or may not make it into 4.3.x.
15
16 I tested this patch and for my setup without xinerama or xrandr it works
17 like I have it under kde3. One screen with kde on the monitor, one
18 screen only with the black X root window on the TV.
19 With that I wait for kde 4.4 (or 4.3.1 if it gets backported) to give
20 kde a fifth chance.
21
22 > 4.3 might actually be able to do this now. Each 4.X release has
23 > VASTLY improved plasma, so far, and in this area 4.2 was finally
24 > becoming semi- usable and 4.3 is actually very reasonable, now. If
25 > small is what you want, 4.3 really does allow small now. I have one
26 > panel set as small as it'll allow, looks like 12 px high (horizonal
27 > panel).
28
29 As 4.3 is still unuseable for me because of the "two different sized
30 screens on one"-bug I mentioned before I can't test that right now and
31 have to wait for kde 4.4. But the live-builds I tried to test the patch
32 had the same problems with scaling icons on small bars.
33
34 > IIRC the minimum in kicker was 24 px?
35
36 Yes it is and 24px would be absolutly fine for me but here it didn't
37 work, as a lot of the icons don't scale if reduced to smaller than 40px.
38 They get cut and I have only have half icons.
39
40 > But I finally got so fed up with amarok I found a different solution.
41 > They killed all the functionality I actually used, while adding a
42 > bunch of junk I'm not interested in.
43
44 That is exact my point. Hurray a lot of new fancy dingelings but lack of
45 needed and used functions like generic usb audioplayer support.
46
47 > Have they gotten the winamp/xmms skinnable mini-player back yet?
48
49 Not the last time I looked into it (a few days after 4.3 was out).
50
51 > And I never /did/ use all that fancy scoring and etc. functionality.
52
53 They put so much new stuff in there, why not a import function for the
54 old amarok 1.4 database? I mean one that works and not only imports 10
55 or so records.
56
57 > Thus, they can go their way and I'll go mine.
58
59 I would do that too, but there is no player that fits my needs as much
60 as it amarok 1.4 does and so I think that I use it even if I switch when
61 kde 4.4 is out. I have 8GB RAM so the bloat that comes with it can be
62 absorbed.
63
64 > I decided there were simply better options available.
65
66 Could you name a few?
67
68 What I miss in kde 4.x so far is the run command kicker applet that I
69 had in kde3 as my main way of starting apps. In kde4 I have to use the
70 shortcut to get krunner (is it the name?) and type it there. And I don't
71 like krunner. I don't want any suggestions, I know what I am about to
72 start, thank you.
73
74 Oh and I miss the weather applet, and the kworldclock background image
75 and… and… and…
76
77 Can't they just add a feature so that kde4 looks and feels and behaves
78 as kde3 did? Yes I know that it is a dream, but sometimes dreams really
79 come true.
80
81 Greetings
82