From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers,
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 13:55:09
1 On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Sebastian
2 Beßler<sebastian@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > Duncan schrieb:
4 >> But I finally got so fed up with amarok I found a different solution.
5 >> They killed all the functionality I actually used, while adding a
6 >> bunch of junk I'm not interested in.
7 >
8 > That is exact my point. Hurray a lot of new fancy dingelings but lack of
9 > needed and used functions like generic usb audioplayer support.
10
11 Good news, generic USB support is coming back in latest Amarok 2 svn:
12
13 http://awainzin-foss.blogspot.com/2009/08/amarok-2-universal-mass-storage-device.html
14
15 > They put so much new stuff in there, why not a import function for the
16 > old amarok 1.4 database? I mean one that works and not only imports 10
17 > or so records.
18
19 They've allegedly fixed it in the current releases but I haven't tried
20 it. I never used any Amarok-metadata so when I went to 2.x I just
21 started fresh and had it scan my files again. There was supposedly a
22 workaround for the upgrade bug, if you let Amarok 2 build your
23 collection like new and THEN import, it would work properly. But
24 importing into a blank collection would only do a few records and
25 stop.
26
27 The biggest thing that annoyed me in Amarok 2 was the handling of
28 "Various Artists", which has been fixed, so I'm okay now. Latest SVN
29 versions let you edit metadata in the playlist view also, which many
30 people missed from 1.x series.
31
32 Handling of online streams is much better and more diverse in Amarok
33 2, so there is at least one thing it does better than 1.x. :)
34
35 > What I miss in kde 4.x so far is the run command kicker applet that I
36 > had in kde3 as my main way of starting apps. In kde4 I have to use the
37 > shortcut to get krunner (is it the name?) and type it there. And I don't
38 > like krunner. I don't want any suggestions, I know what I am about to
39 > start, thank you.
40
41 Maybe something like this:
42
43 http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=91495
44
45 > Oh and I miss the weather applet, and the kworldclock background image
46 > and… and… and…
47
48 I miss the old weather applet, too. The weather forecast and LCD
49 weather station don't show the same kind of info when docked into the
50 panel.
51
52 > Can't they just add a feature so that kde4 looks and feels and behaves
53 > as kde3 did? Yes I know that it is a dream, but sometimes dreams really
54 > come true.
55
56 A KDE3-style theme would used by a lot of people, for sure. I still
57 use the Windows 95 "classic" look on WinXP computers :)