From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers,
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 18:40:29
1 Paul Hartman posted on Thu, 27 Aug 2009 14:04:22 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 >> Oh and I miss the weather applet, and the kworldclock background image
4 >> and… and… and…
5 >
6 > I miss the old weather applet, too. The weather forecast and LCD weather
7 > station don't show the same kind of info when docked into the panel.
8
9 The default weather stuff in kde4 stinks, IMO. However, kde-look has
10 quite a number of weather plasmoids available, some of which look great
11 and provide a whole lot more info than kde3's setup did.
12
13 The one I'm using is "yaWP" (yet another Weather Plasmoid, IIRC). Try
14 looking it up.
15
16 FWIW, it's a bit much for me, but I've seen one guy mention that he now
17 has a whole weather /activity/, with a whole bunch of different plasmoids
18 all setup. (With 4.3 you can assign activities to a specific desktop, or
19 there's also the activity switcher plasmoid that can go in a panel or on
20 each activity, thus avoiding the whole zoom-out, zoom-in thing, once it's
21 setup at least.)
22
23 That too added to my switch-from-kde3 time, but I'd not have mentioned it
24 had it not come up here, because for me, it's just the routine stuff one
25 has to adjust going from one major version to another. But yes, the good
26 news is that there's all sorts of weather solutions now, some of which
27 work very well, you just have to shop around kde-look for them.
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman