From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Portage Fails To Find Updates
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 20:00:34
1 On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 12:43:09 -0500
2 Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
5 > Why has portage failed to add all packages to the "world" file?
6 > Have I been doing something wrong?
9 Well, I found the answer to my own question. From the portage man
10 page:
11
12 "Every time you emerge a package, the package that you
13 requested is recorded here. Then when you run `emerge
14 world -up`, the list of packages is read from this file.
15 Note that this does not mean that the packages that were
16 installed as dependencies are listed here. For example,
17 if you run `emerge mod_php` and you do not have apache
18 already, then "dev-php/mod_php" is recorded in the world
19 file but "net-www/apache" is not."
20
21 But to use the example of the package rpm2targz, using the command
22 "equery depends rpm2targz" I discover that media-fonts/urw-fonts-2.4.6
23 is the only package that depends on rpm2targz. Thus, when I installed
24 urw-fonts, rpm2targz must have also been installed but not listed
25 in the "world" file.
26
27 However, this practice seems to be a bad idea. Since the time that I
28 installed urw-fonts, the package rpm2targz has been updated but I will
29 never know this unless urw-fonts also becomes updated. A similar situation
30 could exist for many other packages. Portage should by default enter all
31 packages into the "world" file.
32
33 Frank Peters