From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Portage Fails To Find Updates
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:00:31
1 Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> skribis:
2 > However, this practice seems to be a bad idea. Since the time that I
3 > installed urw-fonts, the package rpm2targz has been updated but I will
4 > never know this unless urw-fonts also becomes updated. A similar situation
5 > could exist for many other packages. Portage should by default enter all
6 > packages into the "world" file.
7
8 Update with "emerge -NuDv world", then run "revdep-rebuild -pv" to
9 look for more potential updates, then run "emerge --depclean -pv" to
10 look for packages you no longer need due to dependencies. Use "emerge
11 -n" if you want to keep any of those packages; that will put them in
12 the world file.