From: Sebastian Redl <sebastian.redl@×××××××××××.at>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] System crashes when idle [SOLUTION(?)]
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 09:20:55
1 Michael Ulm wrote:
2 > I installed Ubuntu on a second disk and it didn't crash. After a lengthy
3 > process of comparing setups, I think I found the problem.
4 >
5 > In xorg.conf, in the monitor section, I was missing the line
6 > Options="DPMS"
7 >
8 > I'll still have to research how leaving out this option could lead to
9 > crashes, so I appreciate any insight this group may give.
10 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_Display_Power_Management_Signaling
13 Since practically every monitor supports this, and since it's
14 practically always enabled, it may be that other code paths of X.org are
15 insufficiently tested, causing the server to crash when it wants to put
16 the monitor into a power saver mode. That's my best guess.
17
18 Sebastian Redl
19 --
20 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list