From: Michael Ulm <michael.ulm@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] System crashes when idle [SOLUTION(?)]
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 06:38:10
1 Michael Ulm wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I seem to get system crashes on my machine when it is idle for
5 > some time. Here is a typical crashing session:
6 >
7 > I leave the computer on idle for an hour or so. When I return,
8 > one or more applications have crashed. dmesg will show a segfault
9 > on some apparently random location, and the system will remain
10 > highly unstable. Usually, even halting the system will not be
11 > possible. The next reboot will produce several errors on the hard
12 > disk, which usually need manual intervention. After some repairing,
13 > the system then runs stable again.
14 >
15 > Can this be a software problem? I tried to disable all sleep/hibernate
16 > functionality in KDE, but maybe I'm missing something there.
17 >
18 > Maybe it's the hardware, but what kind of hardware issue could cause
19 > these symptoms?
20
21 I installed Ubuntu on a second disk and it didn't crash. After a lengthy
22 process of comparing setups, I think I found the problem.
23
24 In xorg.conf, in the monitor section, I was missing the line
25 Options="DPMS"
26
27 I'll still have to research how leaving out this option could lead to
28 crashes, so I appreciate any insight this group may give.
29
30 Regards,
31
32 Michael
35 Michael Ulm
36 R&D Team
37 ISIS Information Systems Austria
38 tel: +43 2236 27551-542, fax: +43 2236 21081
39 e-mail: michael.ulm@××××××××××××.com
40 Visit our Website: www.isis-papyrus.com
41
43 This e-mail is only intended for the recipient and not legally
44 binding. Unauthorised use, publication, reproduction or
45 disclosure of the content of this e-mail is not permitted.
47 no responsibility for malicious or inappropriate content.
49 --
50 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list