From: Michael Ulm <michael.ulm@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] System crashes when idle
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 07:01:34
1 Hi,
2
3 I seem to get system crashes on my machine when it is idle for
4 some time. Here is a typical crashing session:
5
6 I leave the computer on idle for an hour or so. When I return,
7 one or more applications have crashed. dmesg will show a segfault
8 on some apparently random location, and the system will remain
9 highly unstable. Usually, even halting the system will not be
10 possible. The next reboot will produce several errors on the hard
11 disk, which usually need manual intervention. After some repairing,
12 the system then runs stable again.
13
14 Can this be a software problem? I tried to disable all sleep/hibernate
15 functionality in KDE, but maybe I'm missing something there.
16
17 Maybe it's the hardware, but what kind of hardware issue could cause
18 these symptoms?
19
20 Any ideas anyone?
21
22 Thanks,
23
24 Michael
27 Michael Ulm
28 R&D Team
29 ISIS Information Systems Austria
30 tel: +43 2236 27551-542, fax: +43 2236 21081
31 e-mail: michael.ulm@××××××××××××.com
32 Visit our Website: www.isis-papyrus.com
33
35 This e-mail is only intended for the recipient and not legally
36 binding. Unauthorised use, publication, reproduction or
37 disclosure of the content of this e-mail is not permitted.
39 no responsibility for malicious or inappropriate content.
41 --
42 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list