From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: alsa mixer question
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 16:55:07
1 On Sunday 06 November 2005 16:30, Duncan wrote:
2 > Hemmann, Volker Armin posted
3 > <200511060449.41167.volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>, excerpted
4
5 > > no, but since a recent version came out, you do not need to setup up
6 > > dmix. It should just work out of the box.
7 >
8 > Well... except with stuff that insists on using exclusive mode access.
9 > arts is one such "stuff", one of the big reasons folks have such
10 > difficulty with it. Use it, and everything else has to play thru arts, or
11 > not play at all, when arts is active, even with hardware mixing or dmix.
12 >
13 > At least, that's been my experience, and the arts kcontrol applet
14 > (kcmshell arts, or just find it in kcontrol) specifically mentions it DOES
15 > use exclusive mode, and that other things won't be able to use sound when
16 > it's active.
17 >
18 > Other sound daemons may or may not be equally "selfish".
19
20 I solved this by using no sound daemons at all. They are all evil.
21 I can't say I lost anything I miss.
22 But even If you have to setup dmix, there are a lot of nice easy howtos and
23 guides about it.
24 --
25 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list