From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Wayland and X-Window
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 12:18:12
1 On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 11:09 PM, Barry Schwartz
2 <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >
4 > The FAQ portions given here are not encouraging to me:
5 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_%28display_server_protocol%29
6 > They make good points, but make them in the wrong way; notice the tone
7 > of mockery towards X. I’d be happier with a project that spoke
8 > respectfully of what it was trying to bring up to date.
9
10 The thing that drives me nuts is the general trend towards client-side
11 everything. That's great if the client is running on the same machine
12 as your display server, and horrible if not. Chrome does this even
13 under X11, which means that if I'm running under NX it takes several
14 seconds every time I hit page-down to transmit JPEGs of the entire
15 browser window.
16
17 This is really just a symptom of a larger problem though - useful
18 stuff that has already been done gets looked down upon compared with
19 useful stuff that hasn't been done yet. Nobody wants to help maintain
20 somebody else's idea.
21
22 The other problem is that the drive to make X11 more desktop-friendly
23 so that it can be monetized is leading towards a casual-user mindset.
24 Features that are useful to 95% of those using X11 today are probably
25 not useful to 95% of the people who the maintainers want to use X11.
26 Those who use Linux they way the do today may very well end up being a
27 small minority, having the kind of market share on Linux that Linux
28 has in the desktop OS world today.
29
30 Even if a bunch of devs fork X11 they're probably going to find things
31 moving backwards when the video card vendors drop support.
32
33 Rich