From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Wayland and X-Window
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 03:10:25
1 Paul Jewell <paul@×××××.org> skribis:
2 > I am also concerned by these developments with the likes of udev/systemd
3 > etc, but in the case of xorg isn't the situation a little different? Are
4 > the existing developers of xorg developing weyland, or is it a different
5 > group? If this is the case, then hopefully the development of xorg will
6 > continue allowing those of us who wish, to continue to use it into the
7 > future. I hope this is the case, as this, in my opinion, encourages
8 > excellence in the code. Having no pressure from an alternative leads to
9 > the types of problems you experience with fontconfig.
10
11 I view freedesktop stuff as if it were one package, because
12 effectively it works out that way; the individual parts come as a
13 group. In this case it is even less practical to just write an
14 alternative, since all the graphical applications use the fontconfig
15 API, and it is _that_ which is broken. I am not about to go modify
16 every graphical application and every part of freedesktop, donate the
17 code, and then go my own way, expecting the fixes to be
18 adopted. Nothing short of a fork of the entire repertoire is likely to
19 achieve the desired result.
20
21 The FAQ portions given here are not encouraging to me:
22 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_%28display_server_protocol%29
23 They make good points, but make them in the wrong way; notice the tone
24 of mockery towards X. I’d be happier with a project that spoke
25 respectfully of what it was trying to bring up to date.
26
27 (My variant fontconfig has an ebuild at
28 https://bitbucket.org/chemoelectric/chemoelectric-overlay/src/b6bdf9375e61a38241ff1eb2fc98ed9ce6fcd406/media-libs/fontconfig?at=master
29 It’s based on an old snapshot of fontconfig. The main thing it does is
30 turn off broken functionality for grouping fonts. BTW
31 pkg-config.freedesktop.org is even more fundamental but also seems to
32 have serious problems, at least on Gentoo, though in this case the
33 problems are just bugs, and dev-util/pkgconfig-openbsd is a working
34 alternative. The latter will barf on some .pc files, but whenever I’ve
35 encountered this it was the .pc file that was broken.)