From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Boycott Systemd
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 20:07:44
1 On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 14:24:39 -0500
2 Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
5 > > Someone has to write an apocalyptic novel about Linus Torvalds being
6 > > assassinated and his role taken over by the evil figures from ???.
7 >
8 > I’m simply concerned that one day he will retire.
11 We are now going into a completely different area.
12
13 But to proceed we have to understand the psychology which underlies
14 open source development.
15
16 In open source, ideally, there is no money involved. (I ignore
17 those who are on some corporate payroll.) What then is the motivation
18 to produce and develop open source software?
19
20 It is EGO which drives open source. Let there be no denying. Open
21 source developers obtain their primary satisfaction by showing off
22 their programming prowess. They want to be well known and famous
23 for their programming achievements.
24
25 When Torvalds steps out of the picture, for whatever reason, the
26 void will be filled by ego maniacs who want to claim the title
27 of Prime Linux Guru. Linus is Top Dog Numero Uno now, but we
28 can imagine that all his subordinates eagerly crave his status
29 and there will be great contention among them to be enthroned
30 in his place when he is gone.
31
32 I predict, if this were to happen, that Linux would transform into
33 the personal toy of its egotistical developers.
34
35 Of course, we would also have to anticipate the gabbing (or buying)
36 of Linux by big corporate interests. In this case, the market forces
37 surrounding the "lowest common denominator" would be the guiding
38 principle of development.
39
40 In either case we would have degeneration.
43 > We cannot rely on the programming community to do the right thing. We
44 > are, for instance, sticking canaries on the stack while continuing to
45 > write crucial software like OpenSSL entirely in languages that
46 > _guarantee_ buffer overruns; and the programmer will continue to be
47 > blamed, instead of the practices. (Those who care may want to check
48 > out www.ats-lang.org for a practical alternative to C, suitable even
49 > for writing kernel modules.)
52 How difficult would it be to introduce bounds checking on all
53 C arrays as with some other languages? Would bounds checking
54 reduce the efficiency and speed of C, as these are probably
55 its most desired characteristics? C is essentially only one
56 small step away from machine language and that's why it's
57 preferred for systems programming.