From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Boycott Systemd
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:24:44
1 Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> skribis:
2 > > What I really fear, though, is what if one day the kernel team is a
3 > > different entity, more like other entities in the Linux world?
6 > Someone has to write an apocalyptic novel about Linus Torvalds being
7 > assassinated and his role taken over by the evil figures from ???.
8
9 I’m simply concerned that one day he will retire. I myself have been
10 ‘medically retired’ for over a decade; stuff happens.
11
12 We cannot rely on the programming community to do the right thing. We
13 are, for instance, sticking canaries on the stack while continuing to
14 write crucial software like OpenSSL entirely in languages that
15 _guarantee_ buffer overruns; and the programmer will continue to be
16 blamed, instead of the practices. (Those who care may want to check
17 out www.ats-lang.org for a practical alternative to C, suitable even
18 for writing kernel modules.)