From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Boycott Systemd
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 18:41:23
1 On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:58:46 -0500
2 Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
5 > ‘Diversity’ here is deviation from established Unix/POSIX philosophy
6 > in system design. Years of effort to simplify programming are being
7 > thrown away on grounds that resemble common arguments in favor of the
8 > ‘tight integration’ that is Microsoft Windows. I mean, seriously, many
9 > of the pro-systemd arguments are like those I have heard for using
10 > Windows: that applications ‘just work’, because they were written for
11 > a dominant system.
14 Good design is highly flexible and configurable with little assumption
15 made on the nature or needs of the user.
16
17 Let's consider a simple program to display digital images. A good program
18 design will not only contain built-in routines to accommodate the standard
19 image formats but will also provide non-specific raster buffers to allow
20 a user to view unconventional or even non-existent formats. A good program
21 design will also make no assumptions about the nature of the image data but
22 rather allow the user to create any needed specifications. A professional
23 program thus allows both standard conventions but keeps the overall capability
24 unrestricted and open ended.
25
26 As best as I can understand (I am not an expert in systems programming)
27 under Torvalds the Linux OS conforms to such professional design goals.
30 > What I really fear, though, is what if one day the kernel team is a
31 > different entity, more like other entities in the Linux world?
34 Someone has to write an apocalyptic novel about Linus Torvalds being
35 assassinated and his role taken over by the evil figures from ???.