From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Why Is Gentoo So Far Behind?
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 13:19:29
1 "Arttu V." <arttuv69@×××××.com> posted
2 fecdbac60906160403r3d81bdc3uedcb0f6c89b50a84@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Tue, 16 Jun 2009 14:03:33 +0300:
4
5 > Yes, you test both new packages and new devs extensively. :D
6 >
7 > I think that was the crux of the last "low manpower" thread over at
8 > gentoo-dev couple months ago, when Mr Duncan was trying to find a way to
9 > become a dev without camping for hours in irc. :)
10
11 Interesting to see that come up here. I guess I have mixed feelings
12 about that exchange. =:^s
13
14 But it's definitely encouraging to see someone was reading... and thought
15 enough about it to mention it again weeks (two months already? maybe)
16 later. Honestly, thanks. =:^)
17
18 Meanwhile, I've decided that while as a user and my own sysadmin, Gentoo
19 fits my automated but customizable ideal of a distribution like a glove,
20 the same cannot be said about being a dev.
21
22 Technically, I may not be a wiz-kid, but I'm OK at it, enough to have
23 been told by several that they'd be happy to mentor me as a Gentoo dev,
24 even (funny how that works). But socially, not so much. My generation
25 (I'm 42) was comfortable with email and usenet, but not so much with
26 "instant" text technology IRC/IM/texting. At least some of us are just
27 too deliberative for it to work well. And that seems to be where
28 Gentoo's development is really at now days, both socially and
29 technically. So I'd not really fit in, regardless. I still think it's
30 stupid to on the one hand, complain about how short handed you are, while
31 on the other, saying they'll reject a dev just because the applicant
32 isn't interested in using a technology he's not comfortable with for what
33 is after all, effectively a job interview, thus already a stressful
34 situation. Whatever. Obviously no non-IRC user fits into their club,
35 and I'm not going to spend further time trying to crash their party.
36
37 But I wasn't just asking for me, I was trying to nail down the answer for
38 others that might be interested. Which I effectively did.
39
40 Meanwhile, there's other projects and indeed, other parts of the Gentoo
41 project, where I can contribute, and where those contributions do make a
42 difference. So that's what I'm focused on now. (Presently, in addition
43 to my Gentoo testing, bug reporting, and list activity, I'm active on the
44 pan (gtk news client) lists, where I am I believe the senior active
45 regular, and I run direct Linus git kernels, where I've reported and git-
46 bisected a number of bugs over the last several releases, such that among
47 others, AMD 8000 chipset and Radeon r200 chip users specifically, have me
48 to thank that the bugs were resolved before full version release. =:^)
53 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman