From: "Arttu V." <arttuv69@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Why Is Gentoo So Far Behind?
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:03:37
1 On 6/16/09, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
2 >> Even allowing the "~amd64" unstable series, this remains true.
3 >> Why is this so?
4 > Xorg? We have 2.6.2_pre . gcc? We have 4.4.0 . I dont know about perl :)
5
6 Xorg-2.6.2_pre? In some overlay, not main portage tree? (Don't care,
7 but that's my guess.)
8 gcc-4.4.0? Masked by both package.mask ("for testing") and ~arch.
9
10 New users probably try to use emerge like aptitude or yum, and not
11 specify any versions. Thus, they won't even see most of this bleeding
12 edge stuff already available (just hidden behind these simple safety
13 valves), and might make the conclusion that "Gentoo is lagging".
14
15 > We need to test them extensively.
16
17 Yes, you test both new packages and new devs extensively. :D
18
19 I think that was the crux of the last "low manpower" thread over at
20 gentoo-dev couple months ago, when Mr Duncan was trying to find a way
21 to become a dev without camping for hours in irc. :)
24 Arttu V.