From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] OpenOffice.org natively available for AMD64
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 13:26:59
1 On Monday 16 October 2006 08:03, "Lorenzo Milesi"
2 <lorenzo.milesi@×××××.com> wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-amd64] OpenOffice.org
3 natively available for AMD64':
4 > > It finally happened: openoffice is expected to compile and work
5 > > natively on amd64.
6 > I had seen it this morning, and I though "What?!" :)
7 > Which are the real advantages in compiling OOo instead of using -bin?
8
9 Well, it certainly looks and feels different when compiled with the kde
10 useflag, or at least did on my x86 laptop.
11
12 Also, the version I compiled on my memory-starved 2.4GHz P4 laptop started
13 5-10 times faster then the binary version installed on my 2.2GHz 4GB RAM
14 2x Dual-core Opteron monster.
15
16 OOo-bin sucked so much on AMD64 (for me, it's subjective) that I loved it
17 when KOffice finally became usable for me.
20 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
21 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
22 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
23 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh