From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] kde4, xorg, xf86-video-ati/radeon, and multi-panel display
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 11:24:26
1 2008/11/23 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>:
2 > New thread, since the topic wandered from what it was on the old one.
3 >
4 > Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
5 > d257c3560811221559h2762345eq6e13c03bf0e6588@××××××××××.com, excerpted
6 > below, on Sat, 22 Nov 2008 23:59:53 +0000:
7 >
8 >> 2008/11/22 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>:
9 >
10 >>> FWIW, I tried the kde3 krandr-tray applet and it appears to be
11 >>> outdated, only handling randr-1.0 commands. I suppose kde4 has an
12 >>> updated version with the 1.1 and 1.2 commands. I do have kde4 merged
13 >>> now, but it's still broken in enough ways I don't use it for everyday
14 >>> yet.
15 >>>
16 >>>
17 >> well, the system-settings one seems to work quite well for me. it's true
18 >> that dual head is a little tricky with kde (most of the time makes
19 >> plasma crash without setting the dual head). also i'm using the 4.2
20 >> development brach (plaudis kdebuild overlay) that seems to be
21 >> a little better in terms of usability and functionality than the portage
22 >> 4.1.3 version.
23 >
24 > Yes. I think their choice of versioning sucked. For quite some time I
25 > and others have argued 4.0 should have been 3.8 (developer base and
26 > technology preview for 4.0), 4.1 should have been 3.9 (public release
27 > preview for 4.0), and what is 4.2 should finally make the first decent
28 > 4.x full release, what should have been 4.0.
29 >
30 well, 4.0 wasn't even half usable, but only something for bugtesting.
31 it has been
32 really awful. the 4.0.x serie has been a real mess. i can see them only as
33 alpha previews. the 4.1 series in my opinion look like a beta version with a
34 lot of lacking or not working stuff. now i can see that the 4.2 is almost there.
35 kwin opengl effects work quite well, most of the apps have been transferred or
36 are on their way, finally khotkwys works a little more (this one
37 pissed me off quite
38 a lot). this way of versioning has also made some kde users to migrate to other
39 guis like gnome of xfce.
40
41 > I've chosen not to try the not-full-releases since I gave up on the betas
42 > earlier. Additionally... well let's just put it this way, paludis, no
43 > way, no how, so that has been another encouragement not to do the KDE SVN
44 > stuff since the Gentoo/KDE folks started requiring paludis for it. Thus,
45 > I'm sticking with 4.1.x since that's what's released.
46 >
47 well, i've been back with portage 4.1.2 and 4.1.3 but it lacks stuff
48 and i don't have
49 time to set up the ebuilds for what i need. also the 4.2 plasma is a
50 little more stable
51 than the 4.1.3 one. what i really lack is koffice that doesn't really
52 have an ebuild.
53
54 > But you're right on plasma. It still isn't working quite right, in
55 > general. It's supposed to let one zoom the desktops, and I can sort of
56 > do that, but once they get zoomed out, getting them to zoom back in
57 > /reliably/ has been a problem. Sometimes plasma crashes, sometimes they
58 > zoom in but only on one panel's display, sometimes they zoom in but get
59 > stuck half on and half off the display... it's a mess!
62 sincerely i haven't really understood that zoom function. if you try
63 to place something
64 outside the desktop area, when plasma doesn't crash you won't be able
65 to find it on
66 any of the virtual desktops you have. also the dashboard looks good
67 but when you put
68 a widget on it and then you close it the widget sticks on your
69 desktop. the ideas behing
70 are good but i think they've put too many features together without
71 finishing them.
72
73 > Add /that/ to the fact that khotkeys seems to be broken, or at least
74 > trying to assign anything but default hotkeys to anything fails to work,
75 > AND that khotkeys is the main way I launch stuff in kde3.
76 >
77 this is really true. in fact at some point the hotkeys totally
78 disappeared... :-(
79
80 > Add /that/ to the fact that most of the fancy new effects require opengl,
81 > they don't work with composite and etc, the other option, but
82 > unfortunately they don't disable or otherwise indicate the ones that
83 > don't work, and opengl is limited to 2048x2048 on the radeon 92xx series
84 > and I'm running 1920x2400 so opengl doesn't work well, or at all in the
85 > lower 352 px of display, and kde4 has so far been too broken to seriously
86 > use.
87 >
88 the kwin effects now work quite well and don't really crash very
89 ofthen. the only
90 problem i find out is i need strigi installed. and if you have it
91 running it will kill
92 processor, ram and disk space and you'd have kwin crash sometime.
93
94 > I'll post the script in a separate reply...
95 >
96 ok, thanks.
97
98 >>> The point being that yes, dual-panel works with the freedomware xf86
99 >>> ati/ radeon driver, at least for my hardware, once it's configured to
100 >>> do so. However, there are some limitations.
101 >>>
102 >> i'll try out to see these days how the fglrx driver works with dual
103 >> head. i've read that it does behave in quite a good manner. also,
104 >> now that it has uvd and basic xvmc included i could also think to go
105 >> back with it. the only problem is xorg compatibility.
106 >
107 > As you know I won't even consider the proprietary drivers, here. I had
108 > my fill with nVidia, and vowed never again. Plus, every time xorg adds
109 > something new, it's the proprietaryware folks that hold it back, by
110 > months, nearing a year sometimes, from stabilizing. I /do/ believe KDE
111 > got it right on that one, not waiting up for nVidia to catch up, simply
112 > telling folks using the nvidia driver that they'd have a seriously broken
113 > experience due to their choice of hardware and proprietaryware driver
114 > that couldn't keep up.
115 >
116 well, after merging it today i found out that it still doesn't support
117 xorg 1.5.2
118 (it's a blocker for it) so it seems that for now i cannot have that compare.
119
120 > As for ATI/Radeon, at some point the new freedomware drivers should in
121 > general catch up, now that AMD has opened the specs. I've been waiting,
122 > as I'd really like to upgrade this 9200. Apparently the r5xx chips have
123 > a 4096x4096 virtual 3D area, and it'll be nice getting dual DVI dual-
124 > link, too, instead of settling for the single single-link DVI and single
125 > analog that my current 92xx series has.
126 >
127 well, radeon is quite reliable and speedy. radeonhd instead it doesn't seem very
128 good, at least on playing video content. to have the best radeon
129 experience you'd
130 have to go with the git version of xorg and drivers. the x11 overlay
131 is very good
132 and stable, but it seems that it has some problems wih kde4, especially with
133 semantic-desktop enabled (which is now about mandatory to have plasma-workspace
134 to compile).
135
136 >>> We should probably start a new thread on that if people want to discuss
137 >>> the config and how I got it to work.
138 >>>
139 >> this would be really interesting.
140 >
141 > That'll be another post as well.
142 >
143 by the way i'm still waiting for the kernel upgrade script post... :-)
146 dott. ing. beso