From: Bob Slawson <bslawson@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] emerge --sync failed
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:39:50
1 Paul Stear wrote:
2 >> Rsync-server needs direct connection to your computer. According to
3 >> your `timed out', are you behind firewall/NAT or something like this?
4 > Hi again,
5 > Yes I have a router which has NAT but I do not know how to tell it to
6 > allow rsync.
7 > It's strange that up until a few days ago I have had no problems
8 > emerge --sync or exi-sync. Could this problem be related to some other
9 > cause?
10
11 Look at the tail end of /var/log/emerge.log and see what you have recently
12 emerged. The most painless way to do this is something like:
13
14 % genlop -l | tail -n 200 | less
15
16 Mine shows that I emerged 'sys-apps/portage-2.1.3.16' Saturday morning. My
17 guess is that you did the same, and your 'make.conf' was modified. (Did you
18 'update-etc' or 'dispatch-conf' after emerging?)
21 Check that make.conf contains a section like this:
22
23 # Synchronizing Portage
24 # =====================
25 #
26 # Each of these settings affects how Gentoo synchronizes your Portage tree.
27 # Synchronization is handled by rsync and these settings allow some control
28 # over how it is done.
29 #
30 #
31 # SYNC is the server used by rsync to retrieve a localized rsync mirror
32 # rotation. This allows you to select servers that are geographically
33 # close to you, yet still distribute the load over a number of servers.
34 # Please do not single out specific rsync mirrors. Doing so places undue
35 # stress on particular mirrors. Instead you may use one of the following
36 # continent specific rotations:
37 #
38 # Default: "rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
39 # North America: "rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
40 # South America: "rsync://rsync.samerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
41 # Europe: "rsync://rsync.europe.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
42 # Asia: "rsync://rsync.asia.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
43 # Australia: "rsync://rsync.au.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
44 SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
45 #
46 # PORTAGE_RSYNC_RETRIES sets the number of times portage will attempt to retrieve
47 # a current portage tree before it exits with an error. This allows
48 # for a more successful retrieval without user intervention most times.
49 #PORTAGE_RSYNC_RETRIES="3"
50 #
51 # PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS can be used to feed additional options to the rsync
52 # command used by `emerge --sync`. This will not change the default options
53 # which are set by PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS (don't change those unless you know
54 # exactly what you're doing).
55 #PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS=""
56 #
57
58 The 'SYNC' variable is the important one:
59
60 > I wish I was more expert in this area.
61 > regards
62 > Paul
65 BobS
68 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list