From: Karol Krizka <kkrizka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] sys-kernel/ck-sources
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 23:59:22
1 On Monday 24 October 2005 12:53, Billy Holmes wrote:
2 > Luis Medinas wrote:
3 > > Yes there's a way... buy a faster processor. Those patches for kernel
4 > > might speed up a few ms but nothing special.
5 >
6 > those patches are not designed to speed up your machine, but to allow
7 > you use it for many tasks that don't require high throughput. When, the
8 > goal is to treat as many tasks as possible as equals with little to no
9 > resource starvation for tasks that need interactivity, then the stock
10 > kernel is not enough.
11 >
12 > Try untaring a huge file, compile a kernel, play an mp3, and browse the
13 > internet on a stock kernel. It can't done. Something suffers: the mp3
14 > skips or the browser is not responsive. With ck-sources, for my
15 > multi-user desktop use, I don't have a problem.
16 Would you say that gentoo-source handle this problem with around the same
17 quality, or would you suggest ck-sources for a desktop only environment?
18 --
19 Karol Krizka