From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Following the kde4.1 upgrade guide
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:19:41
1 Duncan wrote:
4 > Yes.
5
6 Here's my problem, when I follow the documentation, I put the file in
7 package.keywords, and that doesn't unmask them when I do an emerge
8 --update. At this point, I think the documentation is wrong and that
9 should be placed in package.unmask, right?
12 > FWIW, I run FEATURES=buildpkg so I always have binpkgs for what's
13 > installed, but otherwise I'd consider quickpkging the existing KDE before
14 > you upgrade, just in case something doesn't work on the upgrade. Then
15 > I'd unmerge the existing kde4, so it didn't screw anything up going to
16 > the new version.
17
18 You know, I've never used that feature before, or in fact built any
19 packages as backups. Got any tips or link to show me the best way to
20 handle it?
23 > BTW, if you are still running kde3 as well, I strongly recommend
24 > USE=kdeprefix. Unfortunately there's a ways to go in getting the
25 > unprefixed kde4 to stay out of the way of kde3. People are having
26 > problems with kde3 apps because the config search path is the normal dirs
27 > (/usr/share/config and friends) before the prefix dirs
28 > (/usr/kde/3.5/share/config and friends), and if kde4 is installed without
29 > kdeprefix, it installs to the normal dirs, screwing up the config for
30 > kde3 packages. This system config problem is quite apart from the user
31 > config issues, which are more or less solved at this point, provided you
32 > follow instructions (or were using separate user accounts for kde3 and
33 > kde4, as recommended way earlier).
36 Actually, I do have 3.5.9 on this box and I've yet to go back to it now
37 that 4.1.1 is on it. However, I'd already decided to use kdeprefix
38 anyway, mainly because I feel more comfortable moving through that
39 upgrade path than NOT using it.
44 Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar
47 Mark Haney
48 Sr. Systems Administrator
49 ERC Broadband
50 (828) 350-2415
51
52 Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support