From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Following the kde4.1 upgrade guide
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 23:15:57
1 "Mark Haney" <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> posted
2 49071FA1.9050202@××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Tue, 28 Oct 2008
3 10:20:17 -0400:
4
5 > Duncan, as always you are indeed a help. I do have a question, I
6 > removed the package.unmask entries, but I'm not seeing the kde4.1.2
7 > packages. I don't run ~arch, however, so I'm assuming I"ll need to
8 > unmask the packages for 4.1.2 as per the documentation, correct?
9
10 Yes.
11
12 FWIW, I run FEATURES=buildpkg so I always have binpkgs for what's
13 installed, but otherwise I'd consider quickpkging the existing KDE before
14 you upgrade, just in case something doesn't work on the upgrade. Then
15 I'd unmerge the existing kde4, so it didn't screw anything up going to
16 the new version.
17
18 BTW, if you are still running kde3 as well, I strongly recommend
19 USE=kdeprefix. Unfortunately there's a ways to go in getting the
20 unprefixed kde4 to stay out of the way of kde3. People are having
21 problems with kde3 apps because the config search path is the normal dirs
22 (/usr/share/config and friends) before the prefix dirs
23 (/usr/kde/3.5/share/config and friends), and if kde4 is installed without
24 kdeprefix, it installs to the normal dirs, screwing up the config for
25 kde3 packages. This system config problem is quite apart from the user
26 config issues, which are more or less solved at this point, provided you
27 follow instructions (or were using separate user accounts for kde3 and
28 kde4, as recommended way earlier).
33 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman