From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Following the kde4.1 upgrade guide
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:20:26
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > "Mark Haney" <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> posted
3 > 4906004B.4030707@××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Mon, 27 Oct 2008
4 > 13:54:19 -0400:
5 >
6 >> I'm finally to the point that I'm read yo move to KDE4.1.2 now, but I'm
7 >> missing something I think.
8 >>
9 >> Using the KDE4.1 guide, I try to unmerge the KDE4.1.1 packages using
10 >> sets (as the guide states to do if you're using the kdesvn-portage
11 >> overlay), but it doesn't work. I apparently don't have any sets when I
12 >> setup the overlay?
13 >>
14 >> I've upgraded portage so I know it's a version that supports sets, but
15 >> for some reason it's not working.
16 >>
17 >> Ideas?
18 >
19 > Well, first off as all the kdesvn and earlier kde-4 packages were masked
20 > and you had to unmask them for installation, it should be a simple matter
21 > of deleting all those package.unmask entries you added to unmask them,
22 > running emerge --update, and portage should take care of the details on
23 > its own. Of course, don't forget the --depclean and revdep-rebuild steps
24 > afterward, cleaning up the loose ends. Given the flexibility of portage,
25 > there are several other ways to do it, some of which are listed below,
26 > but this might be the simplest, particularly since you should really do
27 > it anyway, thus cleaning up your portage config after your testing.
31 Duncan, as always you are indeed a help. I do have a question, I
32 removed the package.unmask entries, but I'm not seeing the kde4.1.2
33 packages. I don't run ~arch, however, so I'm assuming I"ll need to
34 unmask the packages for 4.1.2 as per the documentation, correct?
38 Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar
41 Mark Haney
42 Sr. Systems Administrator
43 ERC Broadband
44 (828) 350-2415
45
46 Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support