From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Following the kde4.1 upgrade guide
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 05:42:27
1 "Mark Haney" <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> posted
2 4906004B.4030707@××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Mon, 27 Oct 2008
3 13:54:19 -0400:
4
5 > I'm finally to the point that I'm read yo move to KDE4.1.2 now, but I'm
6 > missing something I think.
7 >
8 > Using the KDE4.1 guide, I try to unmerge the KDE4.1.1 packages using
9 > sets (as the guide states to do if you're using the kdesvn-portage
10 > overlay), but it doesn't work. I apparently don't have any sets when I
11 > setup the overlay?
12 >
13 > I've upgraded portage so I know it's a version that supports sets, but
14 > for some reason it's not working.
15 >
16 > Ideas?
17
18 Well, first off as all the kdesvn and earlier kde-4 packages were masked
19 and you had to unmask them for installation, it should be a simple matter
20 of deleting all those package.unmask entries you added to unmask them,
21 running emerge --update, and portage should take care of the details on
22 its own. Of course, don't forget the --depclean and revdep-rebuild steps
23 afterward, cleaning up the loose ends. Given the flexibility of portage,
24 there are several other ways to do it, some of which are listed below,
25 but this might be the simplest, particularly since you should really do
26 it anyway, thus cleaning up your portage config after your testing.
27
28 As for the other ways...
29
30 Note that the upgrade guide mentions sets (under installation in the
31 guide) , providing a link to the overlay versions, since the sets
32 themselves aren't in the tree yet. There's a kde-4 set, listing all
33 kde-4 packages complete with :kde-4 slot specifiers.
34
35 If you were using the kde-4 slot, removal should be a simple as pointing
36 emerge --unmerge at that set.
37
38 It's the "raw" link if you're downloading from the git tree, or unpack
39 the tarball somewhere, browse it if desired, and point portage at it.
40 Note that the default sets directory is /etc/portage/sets. You can
41 unpack the tarball there if desired (I did), but you may also find that
42 too cluttered, and unpack it elsewhere and either point portage at your
43 chosen location specifically or copy/move specific sets as needed to the
44 default location, thus avoiding the clutter and confusion of all those
45 extra sets you may not use.
46
47 If you were using the kdesvn slot or something else, you should be able
48 to do the same, only use your favorite text editor to search-and-replace
49 all the ":kde-4" slot specifiers with the appropriate slot as necessary.
50
51 As the upgrade guide mentions, don't forget --depclean. Of course,
52 that'll be much simpler and less prone to error if you've maintained a
53 clean install all along. (Of course, don't forget --ask or --pretend
54 before actually doing it, either, but that should be habit, by now, and
55 should go without saying.)
56
57 If you used kde-prefix or packages from before that USE flag was
58 introduced, you can also try the unmerge example using qfile.
59 Alternatively you can use equery belongs /usr/kde/%PREFIX%
60 (replace %PREFIX% as necessary) to get a list of packages using that
61 directory, and unmerge all of them.
62
63 If you don't have kde-3 merged, or do but don't care if it gets unmerged,
64 you can also use the generic kde sets from the location above, and/or use
65 emerge --pretend --emptytree | grep kde > kdepkg.lst to get a list, edit
66 that file to format it correctly for feeding back to emerge, then use
67 that as an unmerge list. I've done the emptytree grep thing (using cut
68 and etc to trim it down further as well) myself a few times on various
69 things. When the packages weren't masked and before sets, it was at
70 times necessary to do something like that, particularly with slotted
71 split package projects like kde-3. The proper use of sets should
72 dramatically ease the problem in the future. =:^)
77 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman