From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: KDE 3.5 and K3B
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:28:13
1 Mark Haney posted <43FA355C.7070407@××××××××××××.org>, excerpted below, on
2 Mon, 20 Feb 2006 16:32:12 -0500:
3
4 > Bernhard Auzinger wrote:
5 >> Please characterize your issues more detailed. Post the error messages
6 >> and tell us more about your configuration.
7 >>
8 >> Am Montag 20 Februar 2006 15:48 schrieb Mark Haney:
9 >>
10 >>> I just upgraded to KDE 3.5.1 and I must say it's fantastic. The only
11 >>> issue I seem to be having is some sort of shared library problem with
12 >>> hal, dbus, ivman and k3b. I can't seem to get k3b working now no
13 >>> matter what I try with revdep-rebuild or any emerge combination. Any
14 >>> ideas?
15 >>>
16 > Well here's the first problem I get when running revdep-rebuild:
17 >
18 > usr/lib64/libhal.so: undefined reference to
19 > `dbus_message_iter_get_boolean' /usr/lib64/libhal.so: undefined
20 > reference to `dbus_message_iter_get_string_array'
21 > /usr/lib64/libhal.so: undefined reference to
22 > `dbus_message_iter_append_nil' /usr/lib64/libhal.so: undefined reference
23 > to `dbus_message_iter_get_double'
24
25 Neither dbus nor hal should be required for k3b. I have neither on my
26 system here, and K3B has always worked just fine, altho I've not run it
27 lately.
28
29 It appears hal is a USE flag for k3b. Unless there's some specific reason
30 you want/need hal for k3b, consider setting -hal for k3b in
31 /etc/portage/package.use . For a KDE user anyway, I've never figured out
32 what the big deal is for hal and dbus anyway, altho I believe they are
33 somewhat more critical in a GNOME based system.
34
35 FWIW, I long since gave up on GNOME -- for the same reason Linus has:
36 "This 'users are idiots, and are confused by functionality' mentality of
37 Gnome is a disease. If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will
38 use it. I don't use Gnome, because in striving to be simple, it has long
39 since reached the point where it simply doesn't do what I need it to do."
40 Some background and additional opinion on the issue, in an article by
41 Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols, at [1]. Or simply use Google's linux-specific
42 search page at [2], type in linus gnome kde as your search terms, and take
43 your pick of other coverage.
44
45 BTW, [2] is WELL worth bookmarking. Here, I have it as one of KDE's
46 enhanced browsing features as well. Just as gg:whatever works for a
47 general Google search, ggl: whatever by default is the I'm feeling lucky
48 function, but I replaced that with the google-linux search so ggl:whatever
49 will search for whatever on the google-linux search page, here.
50
51 [1] http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS6060826007.html
52
53 [2] http://gnome.com/linux
58 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
59 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
63 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list