From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: KDE 3.5 and K3B
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 15:42:26
1 On Tuesday 21 February 2006 12:25, Duncan wrote:
2 > FWIW, I long since gave up on GNOME -- for the same reason Linus has:
3 > "This 'users are idiots, and are confused by functionality' mentality
4 > of Gnome is a disease. If you think your users are idiots, only idiots
5 > will use it. I don't use Gnome, because in striving to be simple, it
6 > has long since reached the point where it simply doesn't do what I need
7 > it to do." Some background and additional opinion on the issue, in an
8 > article by Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols, at [1].  Or simply use Google's
9 > linux-specific search page at [2], type in linus gnome kde as your
10 > search terms, and take your pick of other coverage.
11
12 It's worse, the gnome spirit even penetrated through to gnome. After
13 spending several hours trying to find out how to make the gtk file save
14 dialog be opened by default (I like seeing the directory I save stuff in,
15 or setting it), I found it is not configurable. I finally ended up
16 creating a patch to just collapse it (no interest in configuring it at
17 this point). At least my firefox is useable again ;-).
18
19 Paul
22 Paul de Vrieze
23 Gentoo Developer