From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Wow! KDE 3.5.1 & Xorg 7.0 w/ Composite
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 11:28:44
1 Duncan wrote:
2
3 > You have a point, as the term is used in regular English. However, the
4 > term has a slightly different twist when used in reference to computers by
5 > computer literate users.
6
7 Stop there. Of course you're not to know this, but I was working on computer
8 hardware in 1972, and I've been working on, with, for, under, at, in spite
9 of computers ever since. Well, I retired in 1998, but you see my point.
10
11 [...]
12
13 > Fast-forward to the present day, and you see this usage in the above
14 > discussion of gcc flags and in your example, "enabling" the numlock.
15 > However, there's still an element of the original and standard English
16 > usage, if you think about it. Just because numlock is "enabled" doesn't
17 > mean there WILL be signals coming from the keyboard on the associated
18 > keys. It only means that if they come, a specific interpretation of them
19 > has been "enabled". Like the old serial protocol, if DTR was "enabled" it
20 > meant any data sent would be interpreted in a specific way. If it was
21 > disabled and the same data was sent, it would be interpreted differently,
22 > in the case of the protocol, causing data to be thrown out and lost.
23
24 That usage was wrong too, and I hope I never used it. DTR was not enabled,
25 but set. Its state of being set is what enabled other things to happen.
26
27 Enabling numlock, if there were such a concept, would set it into a state in
28 which I can then press it and get a result. It was in that state before, and
29 no setting or unsetting of numlock will change that as long as the BIOS
30 continues working.
31
32 > Similarly with gcc, just because a specific optimization is "enabled"
33 > doesn't mean that any code will actually USE that optimization. It only
34 > means that should the opportunity to use the optimization arise, taking
35 > advantage of it is "enabled", where if the optimization were "disabled"
36 > the code that could have taken advantage of that optimization won't.
37
38 If flag A enables flag B, then flag B can take effect only if flag A is set,
39 but flag B still does not have to be present. Think of them as two inputs to
40 an AND logic gate and you'll see what I mean.
41
42 > That should make things considerably clearer.
43
44 It doesn't.
45
46 > -O<whatever> "enabling" a
47 > particular optimization simply means that it's turned on, same as if you'd
48 > "enabled" that particular optimization individually. However, regardless
49 > of how that optimization is "enabled", just because it /is/ "enabled"
50 > doesn't mean any code will come along that actually can make use of that
51 > optimization, so the original English meaning of the term "enable" is
52 > retained in that sense.
53
54 No no no no no! This is misuse of the word. The proper word is not 'enabled'
55 but 'set'.
56
57 > My Dad is a teacher.
58
59 So was mine, and my mother, and her mother and brother, and I've been told I
60 could have been. Nothing I've said is affected by that.
61
62 > So... Thanks very much for asking the question!
63
64 Actually, I didn't ask a question (though I regret saying I needed help -
65 put it down to an excess of politeness); you could say I issued a challenge.
66 If so, it still stands. This use of 'enabled' to mean 'set' is just plain
67 wrong. Sorry if that offends anyone.
68
69 I don't suppose I can achieve anything with this, so perhaps I'd better can it.
72 Rgds
73 Peter.
76 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list