From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: kdelibs insanity
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 01:52:03
1 "Arttu V." <arttuv69@×××××.com> posted
2 fecdbac60907301228s1ca607axbb6a6baec4350ee0@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Thu, 30 Jul 2009 22:28:17 +0300:
4
5 > I don't think there is a need to sync. qt-core, qt-gui,qt-sql, and
6 > qt-opengl just must all have either qt3support on or off, mixing them
7 > with different USE flag settings won't work.
8
9 Exactly. Remember, it's basically a single package, upstream. So it's
10 best to treat all split packages from it as a single unit, same C(XX)
11 FLAGS/LDFLAGS, same USE flags, for the whole package.
12
13 Also note that it doesn't work well to have the different parts be
14 different upstream versions (IOW, the -rX number doesn't have to match,
15 because that's Gentoo-only, but the upstream version, everything before
16 the -rX number, should match). If one is upgraded, all the others should
17 be as well, to keep them all in sync. Doing otherwise WILL mean
18 problems. For those routinely doing --deep upgrades, that won't be a
19 problem as they'll all become available together and the --upgrade --deep
20 will ensure they're all upgraded together. Those not using --deep,
21 however, will have to ensure that the versions stay synced, tho AFAIK the
22 packages now use blocking of other versions to help ensure that remains
23 the case.
24
25 > Also, kde4-base.eclass
26 > seems to require qt3support on, so there isn't much choice about
27 > configuration here ... OP just hasn't gotten the whole mile, yet.
28
29 Also correct.
30
31 FWIW, I don't pay attention to whether something's listed as a global USE
32 flag or local, I decide which I want as the system default, and put that
33 in my make.conf USE flags. The only entries I have in package.use are
34 then those where I want something other than the system default, for some
35 reason. In this case, qt3support was a no-brainer for me since I knew
36 kde was going to require it, so qt3support went in make.conf as turned on.
37
38 BTW, I also strongly prefer to decide how I want my USE flags set, and
39 put that in make.conf and for changes for individual packages,
40 packages.use, regardless of whether they're turned on or not. Thus,
41 there's a decent number of -flag entries in my USE flags. That way, I
42 don't have to worry about profile changes or the defaults on individual
43 packages changing, since I have the policy set system-wide to what I
44 want, regardless of what the package or profile defaults are. That saved
45 me a lot of trouble when I switched from the desktop to the no-multilib
46 profile, for instance, and to a lessor extent, saves me trouble /
47 whenever/ I upgrade profiles (when I upgraded to 2008.0, for instance).
48
49 It also would have saved a lot of trouble for the OP here, since Alex
50 pointed out that the reason this is coming up is that the qt package
51 defaults changed.
52
53 > But you are right: OP should just enable qt3support in /etc/make.conf --
54 > or arduously list out at least the four qt-* packages with qt3support
55 > enabled under his choice of files/dirs under /etc/portage if he is a
56 > micromanagement-masochist.
57
58 =:^) It should be obvious from the above which I'd choose, make.conf,
59 tho as I said, I actually prefer to set -flags in there as well, which
60 might be called micromanagement too. package.use is only for packages
61 that I want flags that don't fit my chosen system defaults.
62
63 For example, I don't run aRTs and have the flag turned off system-wide,
64 but have it turned on in package.use for kdelibs:3.5, as I have arts-
65 plugins-xine installed to generate video thumbnails, and it needs the
66 arts flag turned on in kdelibs. (Rant: I don't know why I have to have
67 aRTs installed to get video thumbnails, as I said, I don't actually use
68 aRTs, but that's the way the package is setup. <shrug>)
69
70 > About his pondering on whether Gentoo is right for him and about Gentoo
71 > having been more and more work to maintain recently -- I wholeheartedly
72 > agree. I just haven't found anything better, yet.
73
74 I don't agree. Gentoo's about the same as it has been, even lower work
75 if anything for me recently. But then again, I believe I use better
76 management techniques than many users do -- at least better for me. And
77 as what was working for others seems to be causing issues now, perhaps
78 they'd be better for them, as well. <shrug>
79
80 As I said, I prefer deciding what I want for USE flags and setting that
81 globally, either hard on or hard off, and only change that for specific
82 packages. And I always do --upgrade --deep --newuse, preferably syncing
83 and running upgrades at least twice a week, so nothing on my system gets
84 too stale -- including all the deep dependencies. I'm ALWAYS at the
85 latest unmasked (to ~arch since that's what I use) version, which I think
86 helps even if it does mean a bit faster churn on deep dependencies than
87 I'd otherwise have. And, upgrading twice a week means I normally don't
88 have many packages to upgrade (big kde upgrades being a huge exception,
89 since that's /always/ well over 100 individual packages), so if something
90 goes wrong, I find out about it right away, and it's pretty easy to
91 figure out which package was the culprit.
92
93 After every upgrade, I run revdep-rebuild (of course with --pretend firt,
94 or with --ask) and rebuild what's necessary (which is FAR less with as-
95 needed in LDFLAGS than it would be otherwise, but OTOH, the --upgrade --
96 deep means more frequent library upgrades, thus triggering revdep-
97 rebuilds in some cases). The --deep --newuse on my upgrades by default
98 definitely helps here too, as it helps keep the dependencies sorted out
99 that would otherwise get screwed up due to USE flag changes not being
100 reflected in what's actually installed.
101
102 I also run emerge --depclean (--ask or --pretend first) every time after
103 the upgrade, and then another revdep-rebuild if I removed anything, just
104 to be sure it didn't leave any dependency holes.
105
106 Of course I also do the etc-update, whether portage tells me to or not,
107 just to be sure.
108
109 I expect I've saved myself a LOT of trouble over the years, due to a few
110 basics like the above sysadmin policies. With a modern multi-core CPU
111 and at least a couple gigs RAM, Gentoo really isn't all that hard to keep
112 up, provided you are serious enough about sysadminning to learn how to
113 play it smart, not rough. But that last bit is critical. Gentoo
114 provides the tools and manages the ebuilds, plus a good amount of
115 documentation. But it's not about hand-holding. Gentoo expects users to
116 be able to read docs and learn how to take best advantage of the tools
117 provided. If you're not ready to do that, Gentoo's really not the
118 distribution for you. I read that Ubuntu's pretty decent at making
119 things brainless. That may well be a better choice for those who aren't
120 serious enough about their sysadminning to learn what the provided tools
121 are and how to use them to best effect.
126 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman