From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: kdelibs insanity
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 12:34:39
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > "Arttu V." <arttuv69@×××××.com> posted
3 > fecdbac60907301228s1ca607axbb6a6baec4350ee0@××××××××××.com, excerpted
4 > below, on Thu, 30 Jul 2009 22:28:17 +0300:
7 > I expect I've saved myself a LOT of trouble over the years, due to a few
8 > basics like the above sysadmin policies. With a modern multi-core CPU
9 > and at least a couple gigs RAM, Gentoo really isn't all that hard to keep
10 > up, provided you are serious enough about sysadminning to learn how to
11 > play it smart, not rough. But that last bit is critical. Gentoo
12 > provides the tools and manages the ebuilds, plus a good amount of
13 > documentation. But it's not about hand-holding. Gentoo expects users to
14 > be able to read docs and learn how to take best advantage of the tools
15 > provided. If you're not ready to do that, Gentoo's really not the
16 > distribution for you. I read that Ubuntu's pretty decent at making
17 > things brainless. That may well be a better choice for those who aren't
18 > serious enough about their sysadminning to learn what the provided tools
19 > are and how to use them to best effect.
22 Here's my take on this, since I am OP. For the last year or two, I've
23 had, more and more, to go straight to ~arch for 'stable' packages. This
24 isn't so much about KDE4, which I /expected/ to be funky when it was
25 released, it's virtually everything else. Unlike some people, or most,
26 if I read the list right, are already running ~amd64 on their systems.
27
28 I am not.
29
30 And I do not want to. What's the point in having 'stable' when
31 virtually no packages are marked as such any more? I've been running
32 qt4.5 for nearly a year now. Isn't it about bloody time it gets marked
33 stable? Hell, IIRC, KDE3.5.10 isn't even marked stable (or wasn't last
34 time I looked).
35
36 I make the comment about it being right for me because I have been
37 getting the feeling Gentoo is becoming 'Debian v2.0' by just leaving
38 everything useful in ~arch (or testing in Debian's case).
39
40 If it is STABLE, mark it as such. Don't sit here and tell me, 'Oh just
41 run ~amd64 widget, it's stable'.
42
43 When I started with Gentoo in 2005/6, I could emerge -uD world and know
44 it'll pull in the latest stable packages and be done with it. Now, I
45 have to watch because some packages aren't, some might need a downgrade
46 of a package, which I have to mask so it doesn't get downgraded, ad
47 infinitum.
48
49 To me, the distro is just feeling kinda sloppy on the back end. No, I'm
50 not looking for a 'Ubuntu' experience. That distro gives me heartburn.
51 But, geez, I do expect packages to be moved from testing to stable
52 slightly more often than never. I'm not trying to be overly critical
53 here, but the way things are going, it's getting /harder/ to maintain a
54 STABLE system now than it used to be.
55
56 And, FWIW, on topic, having qt3support globally makes no difference. I
57 still have a thousand bleeding hoops to jump through to fix all the
58 asinine blocks and dependencies.
62 Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
63
64 Mark Haney
65 Sr. Systems Administrator
66 ERC Broadband