From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: kdelibs insanity
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 14:49:55
1 "Mark Haney" <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> posted
2 4A72E4DC.2070106@××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Fri, 31 Jul 2009
3 08:34:36 -0400:
6 > Here's my take on this, since I am OP. For the last year or two, I've
7 > had, more and more, to go straight to ~arch for 'stable' packages. This
8 > isn't so much about KDE4, which I /expected/ to be funky when it was
9 > released, it's virtually everything else. Unlike some people, or most,
10 > if I read the list right, are already running ~amd64 on their systems.
11 >
12 > I am not.
13 >
14 > And I do not want to. What's the point in having 'stable' when
15 > virtually no packages are marked as such any more? I've been running
16 > qt4.5 for nearly a year now. Isn't it about bloody time it gets marked
17 > stable? Hell, IIRC, KDE3.5.10 isn't even marked stable (or wasn't last
18 > time I looked).
19
20 Note that while Gentoo does provide the tools to mix stable and ~arch for
21 those who wish to try, it's not well tested or supported. All stable is
22 supposed to be well tested, and all ~arch should be tested working at
23 least on the Gentoo package maintainer's machines with all ~arch, but
24 mixing the two is asking for trouble.
25
26 Meanwhile, one of the issues with stable (which people like me parse as
27 stale with a "b" added... hmm... I like that description, I think I'll
28 keep using it! =:^) is that it takes people to test it that are willing
29 to stay as far back as stale is in general, so they're testing a stale
30 install not an ~arch install, but who are also willing to test candidates
31 for stale, ensure they work, and report them as working.
32
33 You say you have a big package.keywords file right now. But have you
34 been reporting as working packages as you install them, so that the
35 Gentoo/amd64 folks know they are working? (Maybe you are, I don't know,
36 and I'm not saying you have to, but somebody has to, and those like me
37 that want ~arch systems aren't going to be able to test with stale, and
38 those who never install ~arch packages at all aren't going to be testing
39 since they stick to stale, so the only ones left to test and report
40 working are those who are mostly stale but do install the occasional not-
41 yet-stale package.
42
43 > I make the comment about it being right for me because I have been
44 > getting the feeling Gentoo is becoming 'Debian v2.0' by just leaving
45 > everything useful in ~arch (or testing in Debian's case).
46
47 I've never run Debian, and prefer not to run stale anyway, so can't
48 honestly say, there. But what I can say is that in all honesty, at least
49 for me, if Gentoo/amd64 dropped stable all together (as is the case with
50 a couple of the obscure archs, labeled 'experimental') it would only be
51 beneficial to me, as that would be more testing and developer power for
52 the ~arch I'm actually running.
53
54 But I'm not selfish enough to wish that on the folks running stable. I'm
55 just not interested in something that stale, is all, so it doesn't matter
56 to me one way or the other.
57
58 > If it is STABLE, mark it as such. Don't sit here and tell me, 'Oh just
59 > run ~amd64 widget, it's stable'.
60
61 They DO mark it as such, when they KNOW it's stale. But they don't KNOW
62 it's stale, unless it has been reasonably tested on an otherwise stale
63 system, and the people willing to do that testing and actually report the
64 results aren't so easy to come by, so it's taking longer to know it's
65 stale.
66
67 > When I started with Gentoo in 2005/6, I could emerge -uD world and know
68 > it'll pull in the latest stable packages and be done with it. Now, I
69 > have to watch because some packages aren't, some might need a downgrade
70 > of a package, which I have to mask so it doesn't get downgraded, ad
71 > infinitum.
72
73 Well, as I said, mixed stale and unstale isn't well tested or supported.
74 But if it's marked stale and is removed, forcing a downgrade, there's a
75 reason for it. OTOH if you package.keyworded as specific version, and it
76 goes away, then yes, portage will suggest a downgrade. But that could
77 only happen because it wasn't considered stale in the first place, and as
78 an ~arch package with newer ones available, it can be removed.
79
80 > To me, the distro is just feeling kinda sloppy on the back end. No, I'm
81 > not looking for a 'Ubuntu' experience. That distro gives me heartburn.
82 > But, geez, I do expect packages to be moved from testing to stable
83 > slightly more often than never. I'm not trying to be overly critical
84 > here, but the way things are going, it's getting /harder/ to maintain a
85 > STABLE system now than it used to be.
86
87 It may indeed be getting harder to maintain a stale system. I wouldn't
88 know. But what I can say is what I said above, the only way the packages
89 are going to move to stale is if people on stale test them and say they
90 work on stale.
91
92 > And, FWIW, on topic, having qt3support globally makes no difference. I
93 > still have a thousand bleeding hoops to jump through to fix all the
94 > asinine blocks and dependencies.
95
96 It's really not that bad. As revealed in a different post, you had parts
97 of and old qt4 blocking the newer version. As I said, trying to do
98 multiple versions of the qt4 components doesn't work. It has to be all
99 one version. Again as I said, once it's all one version, if you do
100 --update --deep, the system should pretty much take care of its own
101 updates. But it can't do that safely with split versions, and it'll have
102 difficulty doing it if you don't run your updates with --deep, as well.
103
104 So you're breaking at least one and possibly two rules (in addition to
105 running an unsupported partially ~arch and partially stale arch system),
106 trying to have multiple qt4 versions, and possibly, trying to update
107 without using --deep, thus only making more trouble for yourself.
108
109 If it's that far behind, why not run ~arch? A number of users have
110 reported that full ~arch has actually been more stable for them than
111 partially stale, partially ~arch. Either you want stale or you don't,
112 and it doesn't appear you're satisfied with it, so...
117 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman