From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] How to install to a RAID set?
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 21:39:53
1 On Saturday 06 May 2006 15:47, Neil Stone <neil@×××××××××××.com> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-amd64] How to install to a RAID set?':
3 > Now here is a thing, is it possible to build gentoo form the ground up
4 > on a software RAID config.. i am pondering purchasing a gentoo server,
5 > but i figure theres no point is it won't play from the word go.
6
7 There's two types of SW RAID in the kernel. One is standard, pure
8 software, md-raid which can be maintained using raidtools (old and busted)
9 or mdadm (new hotness). I'm using this to run RAID 0 across two raptors.
10 Upsides include ease of configuration and hardware independence.
11 Downsides include (in practice) OS (Linux) dependence.
12
13 Then, there is the "firmware" raid. The raid configuration is stored in
14 hardware but all the actual /work/ is done in software. Downsides include
15 difficultly configuring, hardware dependence, and generally flakey
16 implementation -- on both the firmware and Linux sides. Upsides include
17 (some) OS-independence.
18
19 Both are supported by Gentoo, but like most things Gentoo you will need to
20 get in and configure stuff yourself, mostly using the tools provided by
21 upstream. While I know my way around mdadm and lvm fairly well and could
22 help you there (they are simple tools anyway), I wouldn't be able to
23 troubleshoot issues with dmraid or raidtools.
24
25 > I want to use software raid 1 and LVM together, is this doable ? anyone
26 > have pointers or a website for me to look on ?
27
28 Absolutely possible. Use mdadm to create your RAID 1 block device
29 (generally /dev/mdX) and then run pvcreate against that block device. At
30 this point all your standard LVM tools work like normal.
31
32 So that everything falls into place on boot, make sure your LVM
33 configuration scans md devices for pvs (the default configuration does)
34 and that mdadm attempts to recreate the device node on boot by adding a
35 line like:
36 ARRAY /dev/md0 level=raid1 num-devices=2
37 UUID=b64934c5:85356513:9b13d76e:c0280a56
38 to your /etc/mdadm.conf
41 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
42 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
43 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
44 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh