From: Neil Stone <neil@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] How to install to a RAID set?
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 20:49:38
1 Nuitari wrote:
2 >> So I plugged the drives in and started exploring (they're 2 x 200 GB
3 >> Maxtor
4 >> SATA disks). After many attempts I now have a new WinXP installation
5 >> on the
6 >> new RAID-0 set, and all looks fine there. But after innumerable
7 >> attempts and
8 >> much hair tearing I still have no trace of Gentoo. I've eventually
9 >> discovered that I need to pass "dmraid=X" to the installer at CD-boot
10 >> time,
11 >> but the instructions are both wrong and unhelpful in telling me what X
12 >> is. I
13 >> did manage to read "man dmraid" (though not print it - anyone know how to
14 >> print Linux man pages on a Windows box?) from which it seemed I needed an
15 >> -ay paramter, thus:
16 >
17 > After quite a few experience with most software RAID that require
18 > drivers I have come to the conclusion that they are not worth anything.
19 > You are much better off using Linux software raid which will work even
20 > if you change chipsets, as in upgrading your computer in a later point
21 > in time.
22 > Also there are quite a few software Raid out there that require you to
23 > rebuild the Raid if you ever update the Bios.
24 >
25 > I would only use only actual real Hardware RAID such as an IBM ServeRaid
26 > card.
27 >
28 > If you need raid in Windows XP I think that it also supports a virtual
29 > Raid system, I have never used it so ymmv.
32 Now here is a thing, is it possible to build gentoo form the ground up
33 on a software RAID config.. i am pondering purchasing a gentoo server,
34 but i figure theres no point is it won't play from the word go.
35
36 I want to use software raid 1 and LVM together, is this doable ? anyone
37 have pointers or a website for me to look on ?
38
39 TIA
40
41 Neil