From: Paul Stear <gentoo@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] New install of amd64 with raid
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 19:20:52
1 On Wednesday 13 September 2006 13:09, Brett Johnson wrote:
2 > On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 01:11:08PM +0200, Tomas Synek wrote:
3
4 > The on-board RAID controllers and most add-in RAID controllers sold
5 > through normal end-user channels are software RAID. Hardware RAID
6 > controllers are very expensive, have a dedicated CPU (well SPU, storage
7 > processor unit) and dedicated RAM for cache. Some even have dedicated
8 > battery backups for the cache.
9 >
10 > Even though you have to use the on board BIOS of the Silicon Image or
11 > any other consumer RAID controller to configure the drives for RAID use,
12 > the actual processing of the RAID is done by the OS and drivers, so it's
13 > still software RAID.
14 Thank you to all who have replied.
15 I have read the docs and think I know what I should do, except one thing.
16
17 The docs do not make it clear how to set the bios, should I set it for normal
18 ide drives and the use linux raid?
19 Or should I set the raid in bios (ie create the arrays) and load the correct
20 raid drivers and then use linux raid?
21
22 Thanks again
23 Paul
24 --
25 This message has been sent using kmail with gentoo linux
26 --
27 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list