From: Tom <uebershark@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] frustrated - configure mime types for browser
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 00:02:24
1 > I have searched the web and failed. I hate to bother the group but I
2 > know the answer is here. Thanks in advance.
3 >
4 > My problem is how to configure galeon and firefox to use the right
5 > helper applications on my Gentoo computers. For a long time most
6 > helper applications, such as xpdf for PDF files, just worked. But
7 > during the past few months, with the typical gentoo updates, I have
8 > lost the ability to get the right application chosen for the
9 > different mime types. It seems that over time the Linux desktop
10 > environment is getting more complicated than a Windows computer and
11 > it seems like a sad state to me. Either that, or I am missing some
12 > simple piece of information.
13 >
14 > I have two desktops, both amd64. One wants to run gimp for each PDF
15 > while the other runs adobe. I would like to change them both to use
16 > xpdf or at least change the one from Gimp to adobe.
17 >
18 > If anyone can give me a few pointers, I would appreciate it.
19
20 Look here,bottom post:
21 http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=85748