From: Steve Herber <herber@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] frustrated - configure mime types for browser
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 22:00:33
1 I have searched the web and failed. I hate to bother the group but I know
2 the answer is here. Thanks in advance.
3
4 My problem is how to configure galeon and firefox to use the right helper
5 applications on my Gentoo computers. For a long time most helper
6 applications, such as xpdf for PDF files, just worked. But during the
7 past few months, with the typical gentoo updates, I have lost the ability
8 to get the right application chosen for the different mime types. It
9 seems that over time the Linux desktop environment is getting more
10 complicated than a Windows computer and it seems like a sad state to me.
11 Either that, or I am missing some simple piece of information.
12
13 I have two desktops, both amd64. One wants to run gimp for each PDF
14 while the other runs adobe. I would like to change them both to use
15 xpdf or at least change the one from Gimp to adobe.
16
17 If anyone can give me a few pointers, I would appreciate it.
18
19 Thanks,
20 --
21 Steve Herber herber@×××××.com work: 206-221-7262
22 Software Engineer, UW Medicine, IT Services home: 425-454-2399