From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How do I choose a second window manager?
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 17:41:05
1 "Dmitri Pogosyan" <pogosyan@×××××××××××××.ca> posted
2 200906171636.n5HGaRp03314@×××××××××××××××××××××.ca, excerpted below, on
3 Wed, 17 Jun 2009 10:36:27 -0600:
4
5 > I was never fond of split ebuilds, because I found you end up installing
6 > almost everything anyway but managing them becomes much more cumbersome.
7 > Bad example is X - I do not have qualification anyway to decide that I
8 > need this library but not that one, and it seems that every single
9 > library comes in it own ebuild, so you start to wonder why not compile
10 > each C program individually.
11
12 FWIW, with X, you should no longer need the xorg-x11 meta-package, and
13 without it, pretty much everything you need is now a dependency either of
14 xorg-server or of the various other X packages you may install that need
15 it. Among other things, eliminating the xorg-x11 metapackage will likely
16 allow depclean to uninstall quite a number of unnecessary (for most
17 people, they help with exotic fonts for Uzbekistan, etc.) font packages
18 and the like, some of which are unfree, something at least some of us are
19 concerned about.
20
21 Then you don't have to worry about X any more, as only what you need is
22 pulled in as dependencies of whatever. Unless of course you want some
23 exotic font or something. Then you just emerge that to get it added to
24 world on its own, and don't worry about it any more, either.
25
26 So it basically ends up much as you were saying KDE does (and I agree).
27 Just as kdebase-meta pulls in the basics there, xorg-server (well, once
28 you set the INPUT_DEVICES and VIDEO_CARDS variables as appropriate) pulls
29 in the basics for X.
30
31 But just as with KDE, it wasn't always that way. It took them several
32 version generations worth of practice to get all the metas and
33 dependencies setup correctly. Before that, you'd often have trouble with
34 missing dependencies unless you merged the overall meta-package (kde-meta
35 or xorg-x11), because the dependencies weren't all worked out properly
36 yet and individual packages were often missing one or more of them.
41 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman