From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: xorgconfig?
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 19:35:14
1 On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 11:18 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > On 01/24/2010 09:15 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Drake Donahue<donahue95@×××××××.net>
5 >>  wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> On Sun, 2010-01-24 at 10:51 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
8 >>>>
9 >>>> Did xorgconfig go away?
10 >>>>
11 >>> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml gives a pretty up to date
12 >>> status. You might want to go with the flow (dbus,hal,udev) vice swimming
13 >>> upstream.
14 >>>
15 >>
16 >> Thanks. Yeah, I've just installed hal and started down that path but
17 >> it isn't work. With hal coming out of xorg-server in the near future I
18 >> was trying to see if I could just get X working by hand. I'm very,
19 >> very, very frustrated with this new motherboard right now. After days
20 >> the machine isn't usable and I'm running out of energy.
21 >
22 > What doesn't work exactly?
23
24 I apologize at the outset. I'm ranting. I know it. I'm sorry in
25 advance. Please everyone, please accept my apologies.
26
27 Unable to run any sort of X so far. I've tried make.conf two ways and
28 then maybe 50 recompiles of the kernel with different things on and
29 off.
30
31 VIDEO_CARDS="intel vesa fbdev"
32 VIDEO_CARDS="intelvesa"
33
34 In the first method when I boot if I have KMS_HELPERS enabled in the
35 kernel then the screen goes black at the udev step during boot and I
36 have to ssh in to reboot the machine. I can stop that by adding
37 i915.modeset=0 to the boot command line. However when I try to start X
38 it complains about a bunch of things, but the first one is that there
39 are no monitors attached to the VGA ports. The VGA in this thing is
40 part of the Intel chipset, it's a new chipset, and from the
41 Intel-graphics email list it sort of sounds like I'm one of the first
42 folks to pop up using it for Linux outside of maybe some core group at
43 Intel. I don't know and please excuse my frustration.
44
45 I tried get-edid | parse-edid and the monitors are there so I don't
46 know why they shouldn't be recognized.
47
48 I've just tried turning on hal and am trying to figure out how to make
49 the system do vesa instead of native Intel. However this is the
50 problem with hal and stupid people like me. It doesn't give me a
51 choice. If I had xorgconfig I had hoped I could just choose it and
52 make a xorg.conf file but no such luck.
53
54 I've tried lots of other things. On the vesa front right now it's
55 complaining it cannot find an i810 driver when before it was trying to
56 use an i915 driver. Maybe it uses different drivers for different
57 types of X setups?
58
59 - Mark