From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: xorgconfig?
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 19:47:36
1 On 01/24/2010 09:34 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > [...]
3 > I apologize at the outset. I'm ranting. I know it. I'm sorry in
4 > advance. Please everyone, please accept my apologies.
5
6 It's OK, we've all been there ;)
9 > Unable to run any sort of X so far. I've tried make.conf two ways and
10 > then maybe 50 recompiles of the kernel with different things on and
11 > off.
12 >
13 > VIDEO_CARDS="intel vesa fbdev"
14 > VIDEO_CARDS="intelvesa"
15
16 "intelvesa" doesn't exist. Basically, do a:
17
18 equery uses xorg-drivers
19
20 to see what values are acceptable for VIDEO_CARDS. The
21 "video_cards_intel" USE flag for example means it's expanded from
22 VIDEO_CARDS="intel"
25 > In the first method when I boot if I have KMS_HELPERS enabled in the
26 > kernel then the screen goes black at the udev step during boot and I
27 > have to ssh in to reboot the machine. I can stop that by adding
28 > i915.modeset=0 to the boot command line.
29
30 When using KMS, make sure you have vesafb (or any other framebuffer
31 driver) disabled.
32
33 The next step is probably searching and asking for advice in the Intel
34 section of Phoronix:
35
36 http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44
37
38 Also, with new chipsets, it's pretty much a *must* to run the latest
39 versions of X and kernel. At the moment that means xorg-server-1.7.4
40 and gentoo-sources-2.6.32-r2. If you're on Gentoo stable you will need
41 a lot of unmasking :P