From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: xorgconfig?
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 20:13:15
1 On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >>
4 >> VIDEO_CARDS="intel vesa fbdev"
5 >> VIDEO_CARDS="intelvesa"
6
7 That was a mistake typing. Should have been "intel vesa" as the guy on
8 the intel-gfx list suggest I try vesa and right now I cannot seem to
9 get an i810 driver which is what just typing 'X' complains about.
12 > "intelvesa" doesn't exist.  Basically, do a:
13 >
14 >  equery uses xorg-drivers
15 >
16 > to see what values are acceptable for VIDEO_CARDS.  The "video_cards_intel"
17 > USE flag for example means it's expanded from VIDEO_CARDS="intel"
20 >> In the first method when I boot if I have KMS_HELPERS enabled in the
21 >> kernel then the screen goes black at the udev step during boot and I
22 >> have to ssh in to reboot the machine. I can stop that by adding
23 >> i915.modeset=0 to the boot command line.
24 >
25 > When using KMS, make sure you have vesafb (or any other framebuffer driver)
26 > disabled.
27 >
28 > The next step is probably searching and asking for advice in the Intel
29 > section of Phoronix:
30 >
31 >  http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44
32 >
33 > Also, with new chipsets, it's pretty much a *must* to run the latest
34 > versions of X and kernel.  At the moment that means xorg-server-1.7.4 and
35 > gentoo-sources-2.6.32-r2.  If you're on Gentoo stable you will need a lot of
36 > unmasking :P
37
38 I have no problem I guess with ~amd64 if that's what I need to do but
39 the Intel guy said all I needed was xf86-intel-video 2.9 or higher and
40 I've got 2.9.1. He didn't suggest I needed xorg-server-1.7. I am
41 running gentoo-sources-2.6.32-r2.
42
43 Once I go ~amd64 I cannot go back right? Basically someday I could do
44 a reinstall but other than that I just have to stay ~amd64?
45
46 I'm not against doing it because desperately need the machine. If it
47 doesn't help it doesn't matter because right now what I have isn't
48 worth applying electricity to me.
49
50 The issue here is that Intel took a path of putting XP drivers out
51 there but there's no real support for how to make the machine run XP
52 which I need for TradeStation or I cannot trade futures. I've been
53 unable to trade for about 8 trading days now. If I cannot get XP on
54 the machine then the way I see it is run X and see if VMware can do
55 the job, or else spend $300 for some new version of Windows which I
56 HATE to think of doing, and I don't have it anyway. (Well, I do, but
57 money is REALLY tight.)
58
59 How do I go totally testing? Is that ARCH=~amd64 in my make.conf? Do I
60 really want that? Every leading edge version of every package on my
61 system? gcc? glibc? Isn't that risky when you need a machine to work
62 every day?
63
64 Thanks,
65 Mark