From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: startx fails with backtrace and no errors
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:04:40
1 Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
2 d257c3560904130620g4c6e5db6nbb71a7a5a3ac9b12@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Mon, 13 Apr 2009 15:20:36 +0200:
4
5 > maybe with the next
6 > 2.6.30 some radeon modesetting and gallium work would hit the kernel
7 > tree and then would be better to build the kernel modules,
8
9 FWIW, kms on radeon was left out for 2.6.29 as "not yet ready" according
10 to the xorg folks. The feeling I got from reading the LWN report was
11 that it was likely to be a couple kernel releases before it was ready.
12 By the time of that report, it was getting close to the 2.6.29 release
13 and the opening of the two-week pre-rc1 2.6.30 feature merge window (now
14 closed), so it was likely fairly obvious whether it'd be ready for .30 at
15 least.
16
17 I haven't started running the .30 git yet (I wait until -rc2 or so) so I
18 can't say for sure, but I don't think it's in for .30. Maybe .31,
19 likely .32
24 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman