From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: startx fails with backtrace and no errors
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 13:21:39
1 2009/4/13 Daiajo Tibdixious <daiajo@×××××.com>
2
3 > On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 8:50 AM, Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >> I have drm & radeon compiled in.
5 > >> I did find some other drm/radeon related configs which I turned on.
6 > >> However rebooting on the new kernel did not change anything.
7 > >>
8 > > for the radeon driver, you *MUSTN'T* yet use the kernel drm and radeon
9 > > modules, if you want a fully functioning radeon driver, but the one
10 > provided
11 > > with the x11-drm package module for kernel modules and the xf86-video-ati
12 > > driver package.
13 >
14 > So turn off all drm & radeon in the kernel?
15 >
16 > yep. reinstall the new kernel and then build the xf86-video-ati and the
17 x11-drm packages. after a restart of the system (you might need to manually
18 load drm and radeon modules if xorg isn't capable of automatically loading
19 them) you should be on the right driver/kernel modules. maybe with the next
20 2.6.30 some radeon modesetting and gallium work would hit the kernel tree
21 and then would be better to build the kernel modules, but for the moment the
22 work is going in the mesa libdrm branches, which gentoo splits in libdrm and
23 x11-drm. these 2 packages are a must for the xf86-video-ati or
24 xf86-video-radeonhd to work in the proper way, at least until kms and
25 gallium work won't hit mesa (it seems to be in the near future).
29 dott. ing. beso